Weekly Tips and Tidbits

This is the page where you and I really connect.  Each week I will post information covering a variety of topics which I hope you will find helpful.  Also, if there is a topic or a question you would like me to respond to, or perhaps include in my Weekly Tips and Tidbits, just email me using the link at the top of the page.  Not every request will receive a reply, but knowing what interests you will help me provide better and more timely information to you.  

Kids Health 

One resource I have found to be very helpful regarding a wide range of topics for parents, teens and kids, is Kids Health.  Check it out and let me know what you think.

Who’s Who in Mental Health

The Mental Health profession is made up of a group of individuals, all of whom have a string of letters following their names. Hopefully, I can clear up some of the confusion by providing the following:

Psychiatrists have a medical degree, have “MD” following their names, are called “Doctor” and primarily prescribe and monitor medications. Some may provide counseling services.

Psychologists with a doctoral degree will have “PhD or PsyD” after their names and are also called “Doctor.” Psychologists with a Master Degree are not called “Doctor.” Psychologists may provide counseling services, but also may do extensive psychological testing.

Social Workers may have either a Bachelor Degree, a Master Degree, or may have a PhD in Social Work. Letters most often seen following the name of a Social Worker include, “LSW” and “LISW.” These individuals may do counseling and also are involved in providing community support services to individuals or families.

The letters seen following a Counselor’s name may be PC, PCC or PCC-S. All counselors have a Master Degree. A “PC” is a Professional Counselor, a “PCC” is a Professional Clinical Counselor, and a “PCC-S” is a Professional Clinical Counselor – Supervisor. That’s me! You will also see “NCC” following my name which indicates that I am a National Certified Counselor.

I graduated in 1997 from the University of Southern Maine with a Master of Science in Counseling. I am currently actively licensed to practice in both Ohio and Maine.

Interested in finding other articles? Go to Psychology Today to search their data base for useful articles.